Our department offers a broad and balanced curriculum in Physical Education (PE). In the first years of secondary school (Key Stage 3: Years 7, 8 and 9), students develop an understanding and awareness of a wide variety of athletic skills, gymnastics and games. In the final stage of Secondary school (Key Stage 4: Years 10 and 11), students develop leadership skills and comprehend the need to continue exercising as part of a healthy lifestyle.
In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, we advise all pupils to participate in physical activities from three to five days per week for a continuous period of time, lasting a minimum of 20-30 minutes per day.
Outcomes – Students taking BTEC Sports science to better than average at Hartsdown.
Supporting Students – PE at Hartsdown is inclusive with a wide range of sports helping students of all abilities become healthier and enjoy exercise
Key Stage 3
Students are able to access a wide range of sports and activities at Hartsdown. We are fortunate in having a floodlit 3g pitch, a dance studio and a large sports hall. Students are also encouraged to join sports teams and compete both locally and across Kent.
Key Stage 4
In addition to core PE which is similar to KS3 except that we focus on encouraging leadership. We offer BTEC Sports Science.
BTEC PE explores themes including:
- Personal development of knowledge and skills relevant to the sport and fitness world and working life.
- Develop a wider understanding and appreciation of the broad range of sport specialisms
- Become fitter by following their own personalised plan
- Develop communication, planning and team working skills
- Improve their ability to lead sporting activities